North Norfolk Bottles - Codds & Minerals

North Norfolk Bottles

www.norfolkbottles.com



Codds, Patents & Mineral Water Bottles


Quick Links

Aylsham Corpusty Cromer
Downham Market East Dereham East Rudham
Fakenham Heacham Hingham
Holt Hunstanton King's Lynn
North Walsham South Creake Stalham
Swaffham Walpole Watton
Wells-Next-The-Sea --- ---

 

Aylsham
James Barnett Pryke
Picture Needed

Standard Codd bottle in 6 & 10oz

  James Barnett Pryke listed as a grocer and draper at the Millgate Stores Aylsham in 1890 and 1892 by 1900 he had moved to Loddon.
Back to Quick Links

 

Corpusty
James Pinchen
   James Pinchen started brewing at Corpusty in 1864 and acquired the South Creake brewery by 1896. In August 1898 the South Creake brewery was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt. In 1908 he began trading as J.Pinchen & Sons but by 1921 the South Creake premises had been converted into a razor blade factory but brewing continued in Corpusty until 1962.
Back to Quick Links

 

Cromer
William Porter Baker
William Porter baker was in The "Ship Inn" Cromer from 1888 to 1900 also a wine and spirit merchant, his wife took over the business in 1904.
William Everett
William Everett was is listed from 1904 until 1932 as a mineral water manufacturer at Bond St. Cromer latterly became the Cromer aerated water company.
Spencer & Co
Spencer & Co first listed in 1904 as wine, spirit and mineral water manufacturers At Prince of Wales Road Cromer and continued to be listed between 1925 and 1932.
Back to Quick Links

 

Downham Market
Henry Richard Martin
  Henry Richard Martin was in the "Coffee pot" Public House in 1896 and 1900 and then became an outfitter and hosier at High St. Downham
Charles & William Watson
  Charles & William Watson listed as mineral water manufacturers from 1904 until 1912 at Church Rd Downham. By 1916 it had become just Charles Watson at Bexwell Rd, George Hartley took over shortly afterwards.
Back to Quick Links

 

East Dereham
Bidwell & Co
  The first listing for Bidwell in Dereham is 1822 where Samuel Bidwell was listed as a Brewer. In 1830 Leonard and John Bidwell were listed as Brewers at the South Green Brewery. There was again a change in 1836 when it was listed as the Executors of Samuel Bidwell. The Executors continued to trade as S. Bidwell until 1875 when they became a limited company. John Ray who took over as manager of the brewery died in 1890 and it was decided that the brewing at Dereham would cease and the brewery and it's 30 pubs would be auctioned. The brewery was bought  by Thomas S. Bidwell of Thetford and was dismantled shortly afterwards.
Blomfield's
blomfield billhead The first entry I could find for Blomfield's was in 1875 for a Miles Blomfield Mineral Water manufacturer Theatre St. Dereham by 1879 the company was being run by Mrs Sarah Maria Blomfield and by 1883 had switched premises to Wellington Rd East Dereham. By 1904 the company was in the hands of Thomas Blomfield but by 1912 the reigns had changed again to Mrs Edith M. Blomfield who continued running the business into the 30's.
Charles Buxton
Picture Needed Charles Buxton is listed as a Saddler & Harness maker from 1865 until 1883 in High Street, Dereham. In 1868 as well as being a saddler he is also listed as a soda water & ginger beer manufacturer and dealer in game.
Cooper-Brown & Co
Cooper- Brown & Day took over from Edwin Stammers of the Crown brewery in 1888. The Partnership between William Cooper-Brown and Arthur John Day was dissolved in 1890 and the company was renamed Cooper-Brown & Co. In 1923 they were Taken over by Steward & Patteson of Norwich.
Robert Hudson
Robert Hudson was listed in the 1891 census as a soda water manufacturer at 21 Theatre Street Dereham. He was last listed in the Kelly's directory in 1916. Robert Hudson was born in Ipswich in 1848.
James Stimpson
Picture Needed J. Stimpson started at Wymondham as a game dealer and soda water manufacturer in 1854 until and 1858 and then moved to Dereham and was listed in 1864 and 1865.
Back to Quick Links

 

East Rudham
Thomas James Pinchen & George Ralleigh Williams
Thomas James Pinchen was listed as a mineral water manufacturer in the 1904 Kelly's directory but no mention of Williams and no other listings for this company.
Back to Quick Links

 

Fakenham
Thomas Charlton
Thomas Charlton listed from 1875 until 1890 as a brewer and mineral water manufacturer at Hall Staith Fakenham. By1892 he was bought out by Greene King & Sons Ltd but continued on as the manager until 1908 when Roger Hazell became the manager.
Greene, King & Sons
  Thomas Charlton listed from 1875 until 1890 as a brewer and mineral water manufacturer at Hall Staith Fakenham. By1892 he was bought out by Greene King & Sons Ltd but continued on as the manager until 1908 when Roger Hazell became the manager.
Back to Quick Links

 

Heacham
Thomas James Pinchen
Thomas James Pinchen listed in Heacham in the 1901 ceunsus.
Back to Quick Links

 

Hingham
Lacey Andrew Vincent & Charles Vincent
  Lacey Andrew Vincent was first listed as a chemist and druggist in Hingham from 1877 until 1892 also in 1892 Charles Vincent is listed as a mineral water manufacturer which is his only entry.
Back to Quick Links

 

Holt
Henry Beresford
  Henry Beresford listed in the 1891 census as a traveller in the wine and spirit trade and in the 1901 census as a mineral water carter.
Edwin Carter Cooper
Established in 1872 Edwin Carter Cooper was listed at High St. Holt as predominantly a wine and spirit merchant and soda water manufacturer up until 1883 where he was also listed as being at East Dereham. By 1892 he was trading from Holt and Lower Sheringham as a soda water manufacturer and in 1900 he had moved to Cromer Rd. Holt and by 1916 he had moved to Tower St. Holt.
Back to Quick Links

 

Hunstanton
Arthur R. Guy & Thomas Dungey Guy
  Thomas Dungey Guy listed as a soda water manufacturer in 1875 until 1890 when Arthur R. Guy is listed.
Hunstanton Mineral Water Co Ltd
Hunstanton Mineral Water Co listed in the 1908 Kelly's Directory, and at King's Lynn in the 1912 Kelly's Directory

 

H. T. Pointer
  Information Needed
Benjamin & Mary Rowell
  Nourse & Rowell occupied the Golden Lion public house in Hunstanton between 1879 and 1892. Benjamin F Rowell was then listed in the 1896 Kelly's Directory a mineral water manufacturer. By 1900 the company had been handed over to Mrs Mary Rowell also listed as a mineral water manufacturer until 1908. For more information click here
Watsons Ltd
Watsons Hunstanton Green Crown cap   Watsons (Hunstanton) Limited listed as mineral water manufacturers in 1912 until 1922 at Westgate Hunstanton.
Back to Quick Links

 

King's Lynn
William & Thomas Bagge
William & Thomas Bagge are listed as Brewers, coal merchants, wine & Spirit merchants at King St. King's Lynn from before 1822 up Until 1900 where they start being listed also as mineral water manufacturers this ends in 1929 when the company had been take over by Steward & Patteson of Norwich.
Bestyett

    

The Bestyett brand  was started by an Amy Surplus store called Stratfords. Walter Chilvers was  first listed as a shopkeeper in 1922 and purchased the Bestyett brand in the late twenties he was listed as a mineral water manufacturer at All Saint's St. Lynn in 1933. Bestyett continued up until the 1960's when it was boght out by Corona.
Frederick John Carpenter
George Laws and Co are listed from 1836 ( Although they advertised as being founded in 1840) until 1863 at 8 High Street, King's Lynn as Porter, Wine and spirit Merchants and Brewers. In 1864 and 1865 Sarah Laws is listed as a brewer. The company then was renamed Laws & Co. In 1888 H.E. Wardrop is listed as manager until 1890 when Frederick John Carpenter Takes charge and they also start to produce mineral waters. The company continues until 1916 when the Laws name is dropped and becomes F. J. Carpenter & Son Ltd ( Late Laws & Co). F. J. Carpenter and Sons Ltd was dissolved in 1933.
J. A. Carpenter
  Information Needed
Francis Clarke
Picture Needed There is no directory entries for Francis Clarke but there is a notice in the London gazette declaring him bankrupt as a Soda Water manufacturer in 1868.
Sidney Codrington
  Sidney Codrington was in the "Green Dragon" public house from 1871 until 1877, in 1875 he was listed as a soda water manufacturer at 145 Norfolk St. Lynn by 1879 he had moved to 22 Albert St. and in 1890 he had moved again to Littleport St. He was taken over by his son George by 1896 who was listed as being in the "Spread Eagle" P. H. and a Stone Ginger beer manufacturer Gaywood Road Lynn.
John Devonshire
John Devonshire was first listed in 1875 as a poulterer and game dealer and fish monger at 135 Norfolk St Lynn until 1892. He was also in the Dock Hotel from 1880 until 1886. He was only listed as a mineral water manufacturer in 1890.
Elijah Eyre & Co & Eyres Brewery Co Ltd
The Eyres brewery was founded in 1820, and by 1830 the company was trading as Slagg & Eyre. By 1845 he was trading as Eyre and Chester, but began to trade on his own until his death in 1864 where it became Elijah Eyre & Co. A limited company was registered in June 1896 Eyres Brewery Ltd but four years later was sold to Morgans. Who continued to use the Eyres name until 1904. For more information click here
Laws & Co
George Laws and Co are listed from 1836 ( Although they advertised as being founded in 1840) until 1863 at 8 High Street, King's Lynn as Porter, Wine and spirit Merchants and Brewers. In 1864 and 1865 Sarah Laws is listed as a brewer. The company then was renamed Laws & Co. In 1888 H.E. Wardrop is listed as manager until 1890 when Frederick John Carpenter Takes charge and they also start to produce mineral waters. The company continues until 1916 when the Laws name is dropped and becomes F. J. Carpenter & Son Ltd ( Late Laws & Co). F. J. Carpenter and Sons Ltd was dissolved in 1933.
Rowland Alfred Metcalf
Rowland Metcalf Rowland Metcalf started as a chemist in Fakenham around 1888 after leaving Fakenham R. A. Metcalf continued at King's Lynn, where he expanded into drinks manufacturing with a factory at the Southgate Works, as well as continuing as a chemist until 1933 when they became Metcalf and Spreckley Ltd. For more information click here
Forster G. Moore & Frederik E. Moore
Picture Needed Fredrik E Moore Listed at St. Nicholas Street Lynn in 1868, Frederick Moved from St Nicholas St. to New Conduit St. between 1869 and 1875. The company was taken over by Forster Grand Moore at New Conduit Street King's Lynn in before 1883 and continued to be listed at King's Lynn up until 1908.
Morgans Brewery Co Ltd
  Morgans Brewery Co Ltd are first listed in King's Lynn In 1896 as Brewers with Frederick George Betts as agent at 4 Railway Road. By 1900 they had completed the takeover of Elijah Eyre & Co of Ladybridge Brewery. Morgans Continued brewing at King's Lynn until 1951.
Henry Parker
  The first listing I can find from Henry parker is in 1905 as an aerated water manufacturer at Tower St. Lynn, He continued to be listed until 1916.
Pointer
  Information Needed
William Ramsell & Ramsell & Spinks
  William Ramsell listed at St Nicholas Street Lynn in the 1892 Kelly's Directory. Became Ramsell & Spinks, 88 Norfolk Street Lynn Kelly's Directory 1896 and was back trading as William Ramsell by 1901 at The Austin Street factory and at Hunstanton but the last listing was in 1908.
R.C.R. Robinson
R. Robinson listed as mineral water manufacturers at Page Stair lane King's Lynn in 1933.
George Williams
  George Williams listed as an Mineral water manufacturer at Austin St King's Lynn from 1929 to 1933.
Alma Woods & Co
  Alma Woods was listed as a Brewer, wine and spirit merchant, and mineral water manufacturer from 1883 until 1916 in Walpole and up until 1922 in Wisbech. Alma Woods also had premises at Lynn from 1912 until 1922 When George Williams took over.
Back to Quick Links

 

North Walsham
Robert Howes
Picture Needed Robert Howes was listed as a wine & Spirit merchant in North Walsham from 1875, his joined joined the business prior to 1896 and continued with his father until 1908 when it just became Robert Howes again until 1922.
Jane Maclean and Lawrence George Maclean (Mclean)
    Mrs Jane MacLean was listed at the market place from 1883 as a Bookseller & stationer in North Walsham. In 1890 up until 1892 she was listed as a mineral water manufacturer. The company was taken over by Lawrence George MacLean in 1900 and he continued trading past 1933.
Back to Quick Links

 

Stalham
Mark Hugh Legg
Picture Needed   Mark Hugh Legg was listed as being in the "Railway Hotel" Stalham from 1888 to 1922.
Back to Quick Links

 

Swaffham
Steward & Patteson Limited
  Steward & Patteson Limited took over the White Hart Lane Brewery of Morse and Woods in 1895 and continued in Swaffham until around 1925.
Back to Quick Links

 

Walpole
Alma Woods & Co
Walpole Brewery bullet   Alma Woods was listed as a Brewer, wine and spirit merchant, and mineral water manufacturer from 1883 until 1916 in Walpole and up until 1922 in Wisbech. Alma Woods also had premises at Lynn from 1912 until 1922 When George Williams took over.
Back to Quick Links

 

Watton
Thomas Crawshay Frost
Picture Needed
Premier Patent Codd
Thomas Crawshay Frost is listed from 1868 until 1890 as a brewer, malster and wine and spirit merchant at the brewery High Street Watton. He is also listed as a mineral water manufacturer from 1883.
William Semmence and Semmence Brothers
  William Semmence is listed in Watton from 1879 as a mineral water manufacturer and at the Jolly farmers. He continues to be listed until 1900 when Semmence brothers are listed as mineral water manufacturers. The last entry for Semmence brothers is in 1925. by 1929 Albert Edward Semmence was running the business and was last listed in 1933.
Back to Quick Links

 

Wells-Next-The-Sea
Joseph Bullen & Bullen Brothers
Joseph Bullen is listed from 1904 until 1933 at Standard Road Wells as a mineral water manufacturer but in 1925 Robert Claxton is listed as a mineral water manufacturer (Late Bullen Bros.). There is no directory entry for Bullen Bros so it seems they traded for a very short time between 1922 and 1925. Robert Claxton continues to be listed until the 60's.
Robert Claxton
  Joseph Bullen is listed from 1904 until 1933 at Standard Road Wells as a mineral water manufacturer but in 1925 Robert Claxton is listed as a mineral water manufacturer (Late Bullen Bros.). There is no directory entry for Bullen Bros so it seems they traded for a very short time between 1922 and 1925. Robert Claxton continues to be listed until the 60's. A short video about Claxton's Mineral Water Works can be watched by clicking here
Back to Quick Links

 



North Norfolk Bottles 2012